Re: [opensuse-factory] GRUB2 / FATE 308497
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 18:38:36 +0000
2009/12/9 Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 10:58:05 -0600
Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Now my system
boots 3 different openSUSE distributions with multiple kernels in
each, and I generate a new kernel on a daily basis. Keeping lilo
current would be a big hassle.

No. You'd just chain two bootloaders together: one in the MBR that
selects the distro to boot and the second in the root partition that
then selects the kernel from the distribution. Ok, you'd need to add
the newly compiled kernel to the config, but that's true for Grub, too.

And if you do it the best way, you don't have to change anything at
all. New kernel no problem, and only "tried and trusted" boot code
*NOT* new installs gets run. ( that's just reminded me to make sure
there's an option not to install any boot code in oS-11.3 after the
time wasting required to check it all in 11.2 )

There's better things to do in life, than moving through multiple boot
loaders and have in effect nested menu's of options. Then when you
have a boot issue, where do you start?