Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:38:31 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2009-12-03 at 14:38 +0100, Egbert Eich wrote:

In yesterday's discussion about the future of SaX2 it has been requested
that changes that will affect users in the future are communicated to
the openSUSE community early. KMS (kernel mode setting) integration would
be such a feature, thus I would like to announce this here and
one step further dive into a technical discussion about a possible
solution.

(scared)

(sounds interesting, but I'm scared)

- Noveau is relying heavily on KMS for their free 3D driver for NVIDIA
chipsets.

The nouveau driver is not included with the distro since 11.1 at least. There is no maintainer. See the thread where I asked about it a few days ago.

The proprietary ATI and NVIDIA drivers are unlikely to switch to KMS in the
near future.

:-(

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.