Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: [opensuse-project] opensuse source?
  • From: Peter Nikolic <p.nikolic1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 22:45:42 +0000
On Sunday 06 Dec 2009 21:26:21 Egbert Eich wrote:

This brings back the question why we need the source RPM at all.
The only reason I could think of is that people using other distros
can easily download out sources.
If openSUSE users would either resourt to OSC or to the software
installation tools shipped by openSUSE (zypper, YaST, ...) we
didn't even need SRPMS at all.

It may surprise you to find out that there are people that still have Dialup
internet connections and things like build services that rely on an internet
connection are a big no no ,

Those tools could be modified to
use OSC to download the sources from the build system.
This would just require meta information about the location of
the packages in the build system and an anonymous read only access.
Implementing this would be a more worthwhile project than tools
that would generate SPRMS from the build system.
Additionally the sources could be installed in saner places than
/usr/src/packages/SOURCES where they are currently installed by
default. Which - as Peter already stated - is a dangerous palce
when installing sources for more than one package.

Well with the increasing use of Blueray discs we can get ALL the sources and
the complete install distro on one disc so the space issue would vanish
therefore removing the need of reliance on an External build system

Pete .