Re: [opensuse-factory] dropping BitTorrent (Mainline) package
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 16:51:46 +0000
2009/12/4 Jan Matějek <jmatejek@xxxxxxx>:
Dne 4.12.2009 17:00, Rob OpenSuSE napsal(a):
2009/12/4 Jan Matejek <jan.matejek@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Does that have advantage over the transmission-daemon solution which
seems to have remote GUI support as an option?  I've been seeding
torrents and wanted to move to headless, but not configured
transmission yet.

This was meant more like "if you're still using Mainline because of
headless" alternative. I never used Transmission, so i didn't know about
its headless capabilities.
Possible advantage of rtorrent-in-screen setup is that you literally get
the same experience you'd have on your desktop. If transmission-daemon
can do that too, then it comes down to which client you like more.

Thanks!

I was interested in transmission as it was mentioned by Torrentfreak
as an up & coming client with GUI & low memory usage daemon
possibilities. http://trac.transmissionbt.com/

What interested me, was it looks like it's developed to cover
seeding/download from servers by remote connection, as well as having
selection of GUI clients, GTK, Qt in addition to web browser support.

So it looked good fit for end users, willing to donate some seed
upload bandwidth, whilst not requiring burden of GUI client running it
does let one be used.