Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 15:06:41 +0100
On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 12:04:52PM +0100, Stefan Dirsch wrote:

Makes perfectly sense to me. ATI can run mkinitrd in %postin.

If we want black listing or option listing based on PCI Ids we'd have
to provide a script which scans the hardware and adds appropirate entries
to /etc/modprobe.d/. It would have to be rerun every time the hardware
changes.

Assuming that drivers themselves provide such a blacklist file, this script
could be run in %postin of such a driver package.

I would like to avoid this. The system may become inconsistent too easily.
If you keep information in one place which needs to be converted to be
stored in some other place where it is actually used you just ask for
such inconstencies to happen.
The user changes HW or edits the blacklist and wonders why things don't
happen as expected (from the blacklist settings).
Do we really need a per device ID blacklist?

Expanding modprobe to perform such a mapping might be possible but I
don't want to go this route without soliciting for feedback on
opensuse-kernel.

Understood.

If we really think this feature is needed we should start the discussion.
If we cannot think of any reasonable use case now we should wait with this.

One reason for the vendors of proprietary drivers prefering to write
'nomodeset' to menu.list instead directly could be that this kind of
works on
Fedora, Ubuntu and openSUSE. Until it gets overwritten again on openSUSE
later
by the next kernel update or similar. Not sure whether changes in
menu.lst are
safe on Fedora/Ubuntu. Could be.

nomodeset will prevent KMS from being activated it will not prevent the
driver
from being loaded. Two different things.
I would think what I suggested above will also work universally and doesn't
involve tedious line parsing in menu.lst.

I agree. So the approach for the proprietary drivers is to ship a modprobe.d
file blacklisting the opensource DRm modules to prevent them being loaded and
added to initrd.

Yes.

I will change the packages removing the device ID specific blacklists if you
don't object.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development