Re: [opensuse-factory] YaST keyboard settings [WAS: RFC: Announcing important changes in the distribution]
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:59:27 +0100
Stefan Dirsch wrote:
Well, you can still set the Linux console keyboard by running 'yast2 keyboard'
(well hidden now; not even mentioned in 'yast2 -l' any longer). This then gets
mapped to an appropriate X keyboard layout the same way as it is also done
during installation.

*grbml* I thought this was fixed as part of bug 540958 but still the
desktop file for the keyboard module is missing. Filed bug 560713.

But it would be much better to have a keyboard switcher inside of kdm as it is
also offered by GDM (AFAIK) to change it on the fly - remembering the last
setting.

There are requests to support non-ASCII passwords for encrypted
partitions. For that purpose the text console setting is crucial esp
for the root partition as I doubt anyone wants to start X in the
initrd. So no matter what convenience functions the DM offers we
still need that yast module.

cu
Ludwig

--