Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 20:14:13 +0100
On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 05:15:31PM +0100, Martin Schlander wrote:

The latter is actually preferred as the fglrx driver doesn't support the
range of hardware that is covered by the free drivers.

The uninstall script should be kind enough to remove those entries and
rerun mkinitrd.

That's only possible for RPMs built for openSUSE right?

People installing the blobs the manual way would have perform these actions
manually? .. which currently means _all_ fglrx users on 11.2 for example.

My packages presently don't support KMS on 11.2.
If you want to build them on 11.2 install them enable KMS support
for Radeon, rebuild and install the kernel and then decide you
want the fglrx driver, then yes: you are on your own.
But I'd expect that if you can perform all these steps yourself
you will be able to do this last step yourself, too.

Please note: this is all experimental. Nothing is carved in stone
and if you do experiments on your machine you may end up in the
situation where you have to fix some things by hand.

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development