Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel Mode Setting (KMS) for openSUSE.
  • From: Egbert Eich <eich@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:40:16 +0100
On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 03:32:36PM +0100, Martin Schlander wrote:
Torsdag den 3. december 2009 14:38:29 skrev Egbert Eich:
Folks -

In yesterday's discussion about the future of SaX2 it has been requested
that changes that will affect users in the future are communicated to
the openSUSE community early.

Unless I'm mistaken you didn't really account for the changes from a user
point of view :-)

Hrm, I tought I did...

Will installing and using nvidia or fglrx blobs become more complicated and
perhaps affected in other ways by enabling kms by default?

No, please check my reply to Petr's email.

What happens for people with chips not supported or poorly supported by kms-
drivers?

If we find chips poorly supported we can go and blacklist them - provided
there still is a userland X driver for them. Intel for example is going to
abandon UL modesetting entirely soon.

.. of course I guess I could find the answers to these questions on fedora
forums :-)

Or just ask them here...?

Cheers,
Egbert.

--
Egbert Eich (Res. & Dev.) SUSE LINUX Products GmbH
X Window System Development