Re: [opensuse-factory] Is there a way to update to factory from GM?
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 07:59:39 +0100
On 12/2/2009 at 16:03, Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
* Dominique Leuenberger <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-02-09
08:41]:
On 12/2/2009 at 14:13, Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Trying to get to factory gives me this list:

first off: disable packman when using Factory. This repo is not
built/published for Factory (last I checked) and you'll always run into
some dependency issues with updates (like the gstreamer-plugins-bad
listed in your attachment) 2nd: use zypper dup (it is smarter than only
looking at version updates).

or set packman/videolan to higher priority (lower number) than the other,
factory*, repos and use zypper dup. I have been existing this way since
packman added factory/11.2 builds. I hope it lasts, but is working fine
right now. If it stops working, disabling the packman/videolan repos and
another zypper dup should fix it.

for VideoLAN you can always change to
http://download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/SuSE/11.3 which is built against factory
(there might be short sync
issues, but they are normally resolved rather quick. )

but yes, I should have stated it differently: disable every repo that is not
explicitly built for Factory.

the point of using Factory if recognizing errors and reporting bugs early on,
isn't it? This requires that people actually USE Factory in it's entire
form. Just imagine users not updating the kernel because a random KMP is not
available. Then try to detect any regression in the kernel before release
dates... sounds horrible.

Dominique