Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Announcing important changes in the distribution
  • From: Oddball <monkey9@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:43:27 +0100
Op 02-12-09 20:16, Larry Stotler schreef:

That's why I don't update. I backup anything important and do a fresh
install. Saves me from headaches later on. My / partition is always
around 10GB so it's that much easier to do it.

Updating during the development is mostly doable, but sometimes it is
nessesary to do fresh installs for various reasons: testing installers,
partitioners, get rid of broken installs, you name it.

As for this particular update GM11.2 to Factory11.3, the clients can be
tested, because we have had, and sometimes still have: "dependency
hell''. And there has been a lot of work done to get the clients up to
date, and there will be needed still more to get them 'master of update'.
Zypper has been improved very much since the beginning, and becomes
reliable and easy to use.

I always have 2 installs i can use. atm a 11.1, and since few minutes
12, ehm... 11.3, so there is something to compute if factory builds
don't build, break, or get otherwise disabled....which enevetably will
happen....lol.

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball (M9.) (Now or never...)