Re: [opensuse-factory] documenting new behaviors
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 11:17:13 +0000
2009/12/2 jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>:
Le 02/12/2009 10:59, Rob OpenSuSE a écrit :

Some explanation was given, I certainly was reminded of it by info
provided 11.2 RC's & Final.

Probably (I guess this is meant to be best in Wiki) some notes ought
to be available as we go along, so stumbling blocks aren't forgotten.
But I find in past Wiki rather hard to work with, which might be
improved now, may be we could "Pastebin" some notes together and add
them to a thread?

release notes are great, but very short and somewhat cryptic.

we should have more practical infos, as I said replacing a programm by
some info is easy, fast and usefull.

just an example: openSUSE choosed to use wodim in place of cdrecord (I
don't mind here to know if it's good or not). It's possible to say in
release notes: "use wodim now, there is not more cdrecord". Thats
good, but how many people (even in the one who read the release notes)
will remember this next time it want to burn a cd?

That was in the release notes when they did that to. They should not
be any longer than they are, because they are a starting point,
re-reading the info published they are very clear, though probably
sax2 should have been the 3rd option, not the 2nd.

Most ppl will simply use K3b or similar tool; and if you use scripts
then making commands & command options configurable is quite simple.

Perhaps you could cook up an extension to cnf, to recommend "alternatives"?

ladm@fir:~> cnf cdrecord

Program 'cdrecord' is present in package 'cdrkit-cdrtools-compat',
which is installed on your system.

Absolute path to 'cdrecord' is '/usr/bin/cdrecord'. Please check your
$PATH variable to see whether it contains the mentioned path.