Re: [opensuse-factory] documenting new behaviors
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:31:35 +0100
Le 02/12/2009 10:59, Rob OpenSuSE a écrit :

Some explanation was given, I certainly was reminded of it by info
provided 11.2 RC's & Final.

Probably (I guess this is meant to be best in Wiki) some notes ought
to be available as we go along, so stumbling blocks aren't forgotten.
But I find in past Wiki rather hard to work with, which might be
improved now, may be we could "Pastebin" some notes together and add
them to a thread?

release notes are great, but very short and somewhat cryptic.

we should have more practical infos, as I said replacing a programm by
some info is easy, fast and usefull.

just an example: openSUSE choosed to use wodim in place of cdrecord (I
don't mind here to know if it's good or not). It's possible to say in
release notes: "use wodim now, there is not more cdrecord". Thats
good, but how many people (even in the one who read the release notes)
will remember this next time it want to burn a cd?

we can:

* make cdrecord a link to wodim. May work (not sure, wodim options are
not exactly the cdrecord ones), but don't teach anything and at
somemoment the link will be dropped.

* better: make cdrecord a link to a bash script:

echo "cdrecord was dropped, now use wodim"
wodim --help

this is a real help.

jdd

--