Re: [opensuse-factory] documenting new behaviors
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 09:59:38 +0000
2009/12/2 jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>:

This is probably a good thing. However I think it's not enough documented.

It's now time to enhance this, as we are to start a new distro (11.3??)

any group having to change heavbily shoyld warn the user early and
eventually ask for help to document the change.

For example, sax2, of better said X.

when the change was done from XFree to xorg, I dont really remamber
warnings, but there where little changes. It was still possible to add
some modelines on displays not working as default.

now xorg.conf is completely desapearing, so what can we do in case of
problem.

An experienced Linux user (as I am, being SuSE from more than 10 years
now), unable to make a box work in front of a new user is a very bad
advertisement.

so we should have a "migration white note", describing what the old
tools did that is no more usefull and what can be done now

file:///usr/share/doc/release-notes/openSUSE/RELEASE-NOTES.en.html#04

Some explanation was given, I certainly was reminded of it by info
provided 11.2 RC's & Final.

Probably (I guess this is meant to be best in Wiki) some notes ought
to be available as we go along, so stumbling blocks aren't forgotten.
But I find in past Wiki rather hard to work with, which might be
improved now, may be we could "Pastebin" some notes together and add
them to a thread?

Rob