[opensuse-factory] documenting new behaviors
  • From: jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:47:01 +0100
Hello,

The recent threads makes me think Linux is changing very fast and very
much (kde3->kde4, new automatic X without SaX2...).

This is probably a good thing. However I think it's not enough documented.

It's now time to enhance this, as we are to start a new distro (11.3??)

any group having to change heavbily shoyld warn the user early and
eventually ask for help to document the change.

For example, sax2, of better said X.

when the change was done from XFree to xorg, I dont really remamber
warnings, but there where little changes. It was still possible to add
some modelines on displays not working as default.

now xorg.conf is completely desapearing, so what can we do in case of
problem.

An experienced Linux user (as I am, being SuSE from more than 10 years
now), unable to make a box work in front of a new user is a very bad
advertisement.

so we should have a "migration white note", describing what the old
tools did that is no more usefull and what can be done now

and this is better done with a simple script with the old tool name
displaying this doc *inside the new distro*, because this come often
when one have no network.

other ewample: In kde3 you had stick icons (icons the same in all
desktop), to have this in kde4 do... (I don't know yet the answer)

jdd
--
http://www.dodin.net
http://valerie.dodin.org