[opensuse-factory] JFYI: Factory ftp stream and media changes
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 08:40:10 +0100

Hi,

we did a small, but important change in OBS these days. Michael added support
for all the ftp trees and product medias (installation DVD, CD, network
install media) generation now with the tools, which are checked into the
project.

This means kiwi, inst-source-utils and friends for generating Factory are used
from openSUSE:Factory project. While the openSUSE 11.2 media generation will
use the tools from openSUSE:11.2

This makes us more robust and we can actually develop for example the kiwi
tool, which creates all these medias without the fear that we break eg.
openSUSE 11.1 media creation.

As a side effect you may have noticed that our factory ftp tree had incorrect
meta data, which was fixed meanwhile. The nice thing about this is that we
will notice this hopefully before submitting broken packages to Factory in
future. Just like with all the other packages, which should first build in
devel projects.

This is quite a big change internally, so please speak up when you notice some
not explainable change, which is caused maybe by this.

My workstation is currently updating from Factory ftp stream and seems to run
nicely.

have fun
adrian

--