Re: [opensuse-factory] Is there something the matter with the nouveau driver?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 22:02:37 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2009-11-29 at 15:15 +0100, Stefan Dirsch wrote:

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 01:32:58PM +0100, Carlos E. R. wrote:

But why? Is it bad, wrong, too experimental? What?

We can't support it. Due to nouveau driver knowledge and lack of ressources.

Ah... well, ok. Pity, I suppose... another abandoned project.

Thus, the order of preference for the X org people is:

1) privative nvidia driver
2) open nouveau driver
3) open nv driver.

Why, if to them the nouveau driver takes preference to nv, was not
included in the distro?

What's wrong with that logic? Give the shipped driver the lowest priority, so
other manually installed 3rd party drivers are preferred. I believe this is
what the user expects. The order still makes sense to me.

Ok, seen from that side, it sounds reasonable.

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.