Re: [opensuse-factory] yast sw mgmt - Gnome & KDE really different?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 21:50:51 +0100

On 11/21/2009 03:17 PM, Rob OpenSuSE wrote:
2009/11/21 Carlos E. R. <>:

I don't understand why both interfaces have to be so different. To me the
ideal would be an engine
with different display modules (gtk, qt, ncurses, web) with all a similar
display and usage.

Me to, though having a couple variants allows change without
disrupting everyone at once, there's an automatic fall back. Making
one core engine, which supported all the interfaces above, would make
it much harder to change, as you'ld have to update all the client
display & interaction modules to at same time.

You have a point there. Though the ncurses interface could do that role better
(an emergency tool).

That said, in recent "Who runs GNOME?" thread on forum, programs like
K3b were claimed by some GNOME-ites as native applications. We don't
only have 256MiB RAM these days so the client library over-head is
less critical. One example firefox used to be unacceptably fat and
sluggish to me on a KDE system, whereas now it's viable as the default
browser.

Well, I'm aware that k3b is a kde app, and I'm happy to be able to use it
inside gnome. Sometimes I
prefer it to the gnome native burning apps, in fact.

So I think Will has a point, that the Qt based programs are likely to
be able to fool many end users.

If there's GNOME/KDE/XFCE interoperability issues, isn't that
something to refer to freedesktop.org?

Dunno.

- --
Cheers / Saludos,