Re: [opensuse-factory] Slowness with factory update servers
  • From: Peter Pöml <poeml@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:40:46 +0100

Am 09.10.2009 um 18:04 schrieb Doctor Who:

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Doctor Who <whodoctor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 11:54 AM, MasterPatricko
<masterpatricko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Larry Finger wrote:
On 10/09/2009 10:01 AM, Doctor Who wrote:

Hmm...I'm still seeing the slow behavior now. How can I troubleshoot
where the issue is (my end, openSUSE server end, etc.)? Ping response
to download.opensuse.org is avg. about 127ms.

From the Kansas City area, my ping average is 141 ms. Yours should be
OK, but that only tests the connections between you and the download
site. It could be having congestion problems that were not present
yesterday for me.

I just did a 'zypper dup' and got about 90 KiB/s throughput, but only
2 files for a total of 895 KiB were downloaded.
Do remember that for downloads, download.opensuse.org is nothing but a
redirector to the mirrors. Try connecting directly to one of the other
mirrors (webbrowse to dowload.opensuse.org and click on the mirrors link
for a file) ... maybe for some reason the mirror that was selected for
you is having problems.

Regards,

MasterPatricko

Is there some way to tell what mirror is being used when I try to
update using download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss for example and is
there some easy way to choose another or something like using 'fastest
mirror' like other distros use?

https://features.opensuse.org/305320

I opened a feature for that ("Show accessed mirror(s)"), but it seems to be in "rejected" state.

However, it would be quite essential IMO to maintain mirror ecosystem health for everyone. I don't see how else it could be achieved.

Peter