Re: [opensuse-factory] 11.2MS8 latest updates not playing nice with ATI
  • From: Daniel Fuhrmann <schoppehaller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 22:10:13 +0200
Am Sonntag 18 Oktober 2009 21:47:20 schrieb Peter Nikolic:
On Friday 16 Oct 2009 05:22:11 David C. Rankin wrote:
On Saturday 10 October 2009 02:19:25 am Peter Nikolic wrote:
On Saturday 10 Oct 2009 00:57:11 Rajko M. wrote:
On Friday 09 October 2009 01:53:37 Peter Nikolic wrote:
Wrong machine ;-)

Could be. I'm running M8 + Factory, but what I have forgotten is that
I use xorg.conf while by default M8 doesn't. Try to run 'sax2 -m
0:radeon' and see if that solves problem.

Nope seems it runs deeper than that after shutting the machine down
over night it now will not boot init 5 only init 3 i can then
SOMETIMES get X top run and KDE up but sure as i try to do anything it
just bombs out to the login .

will have to try doing another zypper dup in a couple of days see if
anything has been CORRECTED ! as it is plainly a failure to test
something to a reasonable standard before it is pushed out . 11.0
still works ok so it is not an hardware problem . this is not some
strange unusual machine it is a very common Compaq Presario V5030 sold
by the truck load

Pete

Pete,

Best you are going to do for your card is to go grab the latest radeonhd
code from the git repository (and drm) and build drm and the radeonhd
driver and install it. Simple enough. Just follow the directions at:

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

Much better performance than the standard radeon or ati driver but still
600% poorer performance than the fglrx driver. Also heating is a problem
with all drivers except the fglrx driver because the opensource drivers
lack the proprietary downclocking and gpu powerdown of the fglrx driver.
You will notice the difference on your palmrest...

Hi All

well been away for a few days (no computers no phones no noise no hassles
) I have updated the lappy to to the RC1 still strange when booting if i
boot to init 3 log in as root then run init 5 i can log into KDE ass user
no problem and i seems to behave ok no konki crash and the video driver
(radeon) as supplied does not seem to be tooo bad ! bit snails pace but
works .
However if i try to boot straight into graphics mode it freezes just after
HAL and will not respond to anything but a hard reset , Cant find anything
in the logs of use at all so ideas as to just how to go about trying to
find out what is going on please ..

Same for me here, radeon xpress 200m. Sometimes it boots into X but only
randomly. Thougt it is the grafik driver and waiting for fglrx. ready for 11.2
:( nu success with compiling. Running sax 2 and creating xorg.conf brings no
improvement.

Daniel