Re: [opensuse-factory] ATI drivers with 11.2 M8
  • From: Juan Erbes <jerbes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:21:40 -0300
2009/10/16 David C. Rankin <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Saturday 10 October 2009 08:08:14 am Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Saturday, 2009-10-10 at 12:14 +0100, MasterPatricko wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
Wasn't AIT bought by AMD and opensourced?

Not exactly. ATI was bought by AMD, and then some information was
released, but only the _specs_ to the new generation of cards was
opensourced, not the original ati proprietary fglrx drivers.
Based on the released specs the radeonhd driver is in development but
its right now only got 2D support (not 3D) for most cards.
At some point in the future hopefully it will be fully supported, but
that time is still a long way away for now.
The proprietary fglrx drivers are currently still the only way to get
full 3d acceleration on ati/amd cards on linux.

Ok, then it is not the fault of users if we /have/ to use the propietary
drivers. It is the "fault" of opensource devs that they haven't completed
the job...

    >:-P

(... some bait... :-p )

Same old song, fglrx drivers are DEAD for any card older than the 2400 series
cards on anything newer than openSuSE 11.0 :-( The 9-3 release was the final
release from ATI when it declared all pre-2400 series cards "legacy" cards and
dropped all Linux support.) In actuality the 8-9 release what the last working
release that didn't suffer performance problems, but that only supports xorg
<= 7.3. The 8-10 through 9-3 drivers support xorg 7.4, but of those, the 9-3
driver is the only one bandaided enough to stop your machine from
spontaneously rebooting on X startup.

If you have a pre-2008 laptop that means no kde4 desktop effects (or they will
start but shut down to save resources ever time you try to use the effects).

Big impact to all laptop users who can't swap cards. You will need to swap
laptops. Lesson learned -- no more ATI.

And no more NVidia!

20 days ago I builded a new pc with a Athlon II X2 240 and a Biostar
GF8100 M2+ TE 6.x, with the Geforce 8100 video chip integrated + 2 GB
memory. I tested it with the Unigine Tropics, and got about 3 to 4 FPS
in Opensuse 11.2 M6. With the same hard disk and the same Opensuse
11.2 M6 in a 7 years old pc with a Sempron 2600 1,2 gb memory and a
ATI Radeon HD3650 AGP, I got about 10 FPS.

Now I find that the Geforce series 8 has no XVideo-MotionCompensation:

In the same article about the support of the ATI video chips, You can see this:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_r500_legacy&num=1

NVIDIA has been using a similar approach where their once very unified
driver architecture now spans three legacy drivers. NVIDIA's three
legacy Linux drivers plus their main Linux driver are all updated
regularly with fixes and support for newer kernel / X Server releases,
while new features are generally bound to their newest driver that
supports the GeForce 6 series and later....
What NVIDIA doesn't have though, is any real open-source strategy.
NVIDIA's only open-source driver is xf86-video-nv, which is widely
known as being obfuscated and only contains basic 2D acceleration
support.

Please note: This NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release supports
GeForceFX and newer NVIDIA GPUs, GeForce4 and older GPUs are supported
through the 96.43.xx and 71.86.xx NVIDIA legacy graphics drivers.

I wonder: The GeForce4 and older GPUs, has Xorg 7.4 support?

About the intel graphics chips it's know this low perfomance and the
poor quality of his Linux video drivers. And You has no choice (such
as with ATI or Nividia) betwen open or closed drivers or the standar
Vesa driver.

For the intel graphics, You has only Vesa or the poor quality open
intel video drivers.

Regards