Re: [opensuse-factory] Slowness with factory update servers
  • From: Doctor Who <whodoctor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:53:47 -0400
On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 8:56 PM, Rajko M. <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 09 October 2009 11:04:58 Doctor Who wrote:

Is there some way to tell what mirror is being used when I try to
update using download.opensuse.org/factory/repo/oss for example and is
there some easy way to choose another or something like using 'fastest
mirror' like other distros use?

Look in the logs. For instance /var/log/zypper.log should have listed what
mirror is used, so:

 grep "(log_redirects_curl)" /var/log/zypper.log

will give you all involved mirrors. Here that list has 892 lines.

Be aware that redirector (mirrorbrain) at http://download.opensuse.org is
using multiple mirrors, even during one 'zypper dup' session, and the case
where download is constantly slow can be something else, not a slow mirror.
The logic behind mirror selection is quite complex and it takes in account not
only "the fastest", but file availability, file size, distance from download
location, and probably more. See http://mirrorbrain.org for more details.

Thanks. I ended up just hard-coding a faster mirror instead of using
download.opensuse.org.