Re: [opensuse-factory] Disaster -- was No updates of any description to 11.2 (MS6)?
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 09:15:05 +0200
On Saturday 05 September 2009 08:53:28 Basil Chupin wrote:
The normal, green, grub menu.lst screen appears showing me that the only
selectable device I have to boot 11.2 with is....the Floppy. Nothing
else, just Floppy.

I use the Rescue option on the (11.1) DVD and I am informed that I have
no Linux system installed.

That's because it doesn't understand ext4, and you installed with ext4 as a
file system.

Suggestions about how to recover the already-installed oS would be
greatly appreciated.

The way I recovered my test system was to press escape on the boot screen to
drop to text grub, then press c for command, then do

root (hd0,0)
kernel=/boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
initrd=/boot/initrd
boot

That should bring up your system. Once it's up, start YaST and go to the boot
loader configuration module, and tell it to create a new proposal. That will
create a fully functioning grub menu

Anders