[opensuse-factory] Add VBoxGuestAdditions.iso to non-free
  • From: Stephan Kleine <bitdealer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 17:02:53 +0200
Sorry for top posting but I just subscribed.

Stephan Kulow wrote:
What I wonder: what is the advantage of having an .iso in the distribution
that can be downloaded 1:1 from other sources?

For the same reason we have Acrobat Reader, Opera, Flash player, SUN
JRE / JDK and the other stuff in there. It is easier to install, is
installed globally instead of a per user base and one gets automatic
updates. Last but not least it does no harm.

Or in other words: What is the problem with including it in the
non-oss repo. I see only advantages.

Ciro Iriarte wrote:
I don't see the point, the ISO is provided with VirtualBox, if the
distribution provides it, the install procedure would be as annoying
as it's today. On the other hand, adding the modules as KMP packages
would be nice (given their license allow repackaging).

No, the iso is currently provided only with the binary VirtualBox
version (iirc, I might be wrong) or available as separate download
which had to be done per user. Also I fail to see how the availability
of that .iso would make the installation procedure "annoying" since
neither would anyone force you to use it nor would it do more than
placing said .iso into /usr/share/virtualbox. Further those KMP
packages you want to have are already available since quite a few
versions. The problem with them is that they sometimes don't work so
one has to compile the additions manually and obviously they work only
for openSUSE and therefore not for any other Linux, BSD, Windows, ...
so one needs the VBoxGuestAdditions.iso there to build them.

In short: besides the obvious advantages of having something
installable via package management are there any disadvantages? I
honestly fail to see some.

Regards,
Stephan.