Re: [opensuse-factory] Yast - can't resize "size" column
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 01:09:27 -0500
On Tuesday 23 June 2009 12:41:54 am Dave Plater wrote:
Could you post a full screenshot of your software manager ui, I'm
interested in viewing the differences between yours and mine. You seem
to have the same yast versions as me.
Regards
Dave P

Sure:

(207k)

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/openSUSE_bugs/kde4/screenshots/yast-ui-
screenshot.jpeg

After looking at your screenshot I've finally managed to reproduce the
bug. My size column is in fact fixed to 9 characters and when the value
1014.0 KiB appears in the size column it's truncated by dots. I think
this bug most probably started with the switch from KB to KiB recently
and the program assuming 1024 as a Meg.
Regards
Dave P

Whew!,

Glad to know my eyes weren't playing tricks on me :p So if I
understand you, it's the addition of that one little 'i' causing the problem?
That extra character introduced when there was a change from KB and MB to KiB
and MiB. (A change I must admit whose importance is lost on me -- I know the
difference, I just can't see the relevance of knowing whether you are
downloading 226.7 KB file or 226.7KiB file)

So what are the fix options? Go to 10 characters in width? Why not just
make the column behave like the other 3 columns where you can just grab the
right heading border and resize the thing? I'm sure the devs will make the
right choice.

Thanks for working through this one with me to help me understand what
was going on. Now if it can just be fixed we'll be golden.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC