Re: [opensuse-factory] status distribution
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:27:03 +0200
Am Mittwoch 17 Juni 2009 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
2009/6/17 Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>:
So I would like to hear feedback on this. We have an alternative of
course: leaving binutils as it is and only set SUSE_ASNEEDED=1 in
packages where we expect real benefits. Or we set SUSE_ASNEEDED=0 in all
packages creating a build problem and you guys say we test enough to make
as-needed useful.

If there are a Iot of build fails I would make a full Factory build
with SUSE_ASNEEDED=1 and create an openSUSE:Factory:asneeded project
similar to openSUSE:Factory:Gcc44 with a link to the packages that
failed (with the build log, not sure if that would require an
additional build).
If there is real interest I would expect those packages (or the
library packages they depend on with the real problem) to be fixed for
11.2 release. If so, set SUSE_ASNEEDED=1 again for all post-11.2
Factory builds and we will have all the 11.3 development time to find
and fix the packages that build but with problems... plus any new
build fail, but I don't really expect any package build starting to
fail because of --as-needed between now and 11.2 release.
Meanwhile one could put a ban to SUSE_ASNEEDED=1 for packages that
contain libraries (or allow it only with also
"--no-allow-shlib-undefined") but allow each packager to set
SUSE_ASNEEDED=1 for his packages with only executables if they want
to.

I would really like to have the full distro building with --as-needed,
call it a personal obsession. I had some free time recently and I have
submitted a few patches to fix packages that failed with
--as-needed... a few because they were all I knew. Having a list of
problematic packages would be really helpful.

My current plan is to put SUSE_ASNEEDED=0 in all packages failing atm
and then leave it to the packagers to take out and fix on their own schedule.

http://www.suse.de/~coolo/asneeded has the logs I greped out - as soon as
suse.de syncs again. Be patient in the next minutes :)

Greetings, Stephan