[opensuse-factory] RFC: use case for USB image (fate#305658)
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:35:38 +0200
Hi,

It has been my goal to support the LiveCD ISO also on a USB and let it
make the changes you do in ~linux store persistently on the USB stick
(so you can e.g. try easily the same thing on different computers).

Now I got my first bug report claiming this is not wanted and should only
be done if explicitly asked for. Now it's me against the user and I can of
course easily close WONTFIX, but I wonder what others thing: what is
the use case of storing the live cd on a USB stick?

Give me some background: The ISO is a .iso meant to be written on a
optical disc (CD-R,CD-RW,DVD-R,DVD-RW). There the file system will
be purely readonly and all changes end up in memory.

But as newer syslinux can boot ISOs also from hard drives, there is a new
option: put the .iso file raw on a usb stick - overwriting the partition
table, losing all data. So you would have 700MB on a 4G stick, there
is the question why you would want to store things in memory if you have
plenty of room on the stick.

And then there is a 3rd option: copy the _content_ of the .iso into an
existant vfat file system and create a vfat mbr (using syslinux). There
the changes would end up as additional file in the vfat and may take up
some room that you might want for other things.

In both cases the changes to the ISO will be an additional file (named copy-
on-write - .cow) that is easy to erase if you want to start from scratch.

The bug in question is #498311.

Greetings, Stephan
P.S. If you ever wanted to tell me what colour you love your USB sticks in,
feel free to go ahead. I got used to off topic replies.