[opensuse-factory] First impressions of 11.2
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <zznmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:46:06 -0700
I just installed the 11.2 Milestone 1 DVD on my test system, an
ancient Compaq Presario 2110US with 512 MB of RAM and a 1.6 GHz Athlon
XP. First impressions:

1. The Synaptics Touchpad wasn't active on the DVD boot. I had to plug
in a USB mouse or use ALT-<letter> commands to navigate the install
menu.

2. After that, the install was fine. The only other comment I have,
and this is common to earlier openSUSE installs as well, is that I
haven't been able to set the host name during the install. It's not
terribly obvious how to set it *after* the install, either. Have I
missed something obvious, or does openSUSE not have a place to set the
host name during an install?

3. The system, like 11.1, comes up with Beagle installed and running.
This kills my 512 MB machine and I end up de-installing it as soon as
I can. It can be disabled on a DVD or network install, but as far as I
can tell it can't be disabled on an install from a LiveCD. Any chance
of making the Beagle install optional in all cases?

Other than that, everything looks good. I may put another hard drive
in my workstation and dual-boot it with 11.2 just so I can hack on the
stuff I really want to hack on -- cloud / virtualization. :)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
http://www.linkedin.com/in/edborasky