[opensuse-factory] RFC: create multimedia:libs and move media libs and GStreamer primary Factory development
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 14:29:58 +0200
Hallo.

It would be nice to have a central place for multimedia libraries and
codecs.

Nowadays they are spread over many home:*:Factory projects. GStreamer
primary development project is even GNOME:Factory and it is frozen in
GNOME:STABLE:*, even if it has nothing to do with GNOME release cycle.

It means that it's hard to upgrade multimedia stuff like GStreamer on
released products and even test new libraries.

That is why I would like to propose new repository:

multimedia:libs

This repository should contain latest version of multimedia libraries
and codecs. It should be preferred Factory devel project for this type
of packages. It is not intended for multimedia applications.

It should be built for released products, so other projects can easily
resource it if appropriate.

I volunteer to start with my packages and GStreamer.

This problem was discussed several times in past but no action was done
yet, that is why I am pinging this again.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer