[opensuse-factory] High Power Consumption during sleep with Kernel 2.6.29-rc6
  • From: Raymond Wooninck <tittiatwork@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:26:39 +0100

Hi,

I believe that I detected a regression in the newest kernel 2.6.29 regarding
Power Consumption during Sleep (S3 state). As I reported before I had problems
with resuming after sleep with the kernels before 2.6.29-rc6, so I didn't use
Sleep anymore. Now that the resume issue is resolved, I started to use Sleep
again and I noticed that my battery (full loaded before Sleep) was drained in
maybe something like 5 or 6 hours.

As I have a IBM Thinkpad with the famous Radeon chip, I validated if the
radeonfb module was loaded and if the workaround was enabled. This was the
case, so the question is where this power drain is coming from.

I have now tested the kernel 2.6.27.13 and 2.6.29-rc6 with the same
installation. This means that I am just rebooting to use the other kernel. What
I have detected is that the 2.6.27.13 kernel behaves normally and with a normal
low power consumption during sleep. I am using the famous sleep test script
from www.thinkwiki.org

This test script gives the following output :

Kernel-2.6.29-rc6
Sun Mar 1 20:57:44 CET 2009
before: 33380 mWh
after: 31700 mWh
diff: -1680 mWh
seconds: 2056 sec
result: -2941 mW
Your model seems to be affected.

Kernel-2.6.27.13
Tue Mar 3 21:04:34 CET 2009
before: 31170 mWh
after: 30990 mWh
diff: -180 mWh
seconds: 1342 sec
result: -482 mW
Congratulations, your model seems NOT to be affected.

I will create a bug for this issue and there I will attach the corresponding
dmesg and pm-suspend.log's for both kernels. But I just wanted to know if other
Factory users are seeing the same behaviour.

Regards

Raymond