Re: [opensuse-factory] Questions about crda,iw and wireless-regdb packages
  • From: Helmut Schaa <hschaa@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:22:08 +0100
Am Montag, 23. Februar 2009 schrieb Andreas Jaeger:
On Friday 20 February 2009 18:29:41 Markus Koßmann wrote:
When/where the regulatory domain is intended to be setup ?

No, there is no such place yet.

If I set up it manually with "iw reg set" this setting is lost after a
reboot. So it seems that a startup script needs to set the regulatory
domain after every reboot, if you want full WLAN function after a reboot.
Why is the regulatory.bin file installed in /usr/lib and iw in/usr/sbin,
whereas the other parts of the framework are living in / ? If you want to
mount /usr over a WLAN connection, this will restrict you to use channels
1-11 for that WLAN .
One other question: Are these packages installed by default if needed?

No, not yet. I've packaged them for factory only one or two weeks ago.

I run
zypper dup last week and those packages were not installed at all, it seems
there are some missing dependencies...

I wouldn't say missing dependencies. CRDA + wireless-regdb are needed by
the kernel but I don't think we want the kernel to depend on a user space
program. Furthermore the wireless satck will still be functional without
CRDA. Maybe all three packages should be installed as part of the base
system?

Helmut