Re: [opensuse-factory] was multiversion support in zypp.conf ever added to 11.0?
  • From: "ne..." <guhvies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:12:56 +0000
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 15:28, Duncan Mac-Vicar Prett <dmacvicar@xxxxxxx> wrote:
{snip]
I understand your frustration. I can't get convinced though that a
backport is worth the priority.

- Either the system is non critical and you don't change kernels (I mean
kernel versions) like end-users do
- We can reasonable assume a SUSE kernel update will work.
- If you run a critical system, you would not change the kernel on a the
production system.
I think you are missing the point. The point is that by removing a known working
kernel and installing a kernel that does not work on the user's system
leaves the
user in a bind. It is much better to have multiple kernels installed
as that insures
that the user will have one that works. This is one reason why I never
user yast or
zypper to do kernel upgrades. I use rpm -i and then when I know the
newly installed
kernel works to my satisfaction, I can rpm -e to remove the old
kernel. I hope this
helps clarify the situation.

ne...
Now accepting personal mail for GMail invites.
Lucille Ball - "The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat
slowly, and lie about your age."