Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for 11.2? - smolt?
  • From: Rob OpenSuSE <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 09:35:51 +0000
2009/2/4 Rafa Grimán <rafagriman@xxxxxxxxx>:

What I mean is that say I post a bug upstream and another user posts the same
bug at Novell's bugzilla.

The discussion about smolt started when an openSUSE user was unhappy
to be referred reporting a bug upstream. In general it does make
sense to open a bug in Bugzilla, and to accept polite requests to file
upstream.

How can you verify or test a proposed fix, if the bug does not affect
your system? Filing a bug, frequently you are asked to provide
information, logs, or run tests and provide output or describe the
effects.

So what is generally needed is work from a number of independent projects :

- Cooperation of End User with bug, info & test runs
- Triage & extra information by openSUSE member (community or
Novell/SuSE employee)
- Cooperation of Upstream, who ideally approve a patch, and
include fix into codebase for future releases

Restricting reporting to 1 interface, is superficially convenient, but
is inherently inefficient.

Commercial software companies, don't want their users to talk to
anyone else, who might provide the customer with information. This is
an open system, no secrets, not a closed one.