Re: [opensuse-factory] Plan for 11.2? - smolt?
  • From: Rafa Grimán <rafagriman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:17:26 +0100
Hi :)

El Friday 16 January 2009, Henne Vogelsang escribió:
Hi,

Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Friday, 2009-01-16 at 13:40 +0100, Henne Vogelsang wrote:
Carlos E. R. wrote:
There is a problem with this: even if you keep using the same machine
and installation for a year, you will be removed from the database,
unless you manually update it periodically.

[...]

I opened a bugzilla so that Novell changes the cron job to
/etc/cron.daily/, but it has been dismissed. No, I will not report
upstream, this is a packaging problem here, IMO: the /etc/cron.daily/
is a SuSE feature, AFAIK.

It is not. This is a bug in the handling of smolt. Why wont you report
it upstream?

- Because the people insterested in getting good and reliable stats are
the distributors, not the users.
- Because I din't find how, I'm not aquainted with fedora, I don't have
an account with their bugzilla, and I didn't find it. (1)
- It has taken me "years" to become aquainted with Novell's bugzilla,
how to express my points, how to argue them. I can't do the same with
fedorans, and I will be ignored.
- Because I'm not an expert in Smolt, and I find the documentation very
lacking (and no, I can not write docs if I'm not an expert). And not
being an expert, I can not argue my point with them.
- Why do I have to report a problem upstream, when we report all
problems found to Novell's Bugzilla? Surely you don't want us to
subscribe to the billion bug reporting systems upstream of all packages?

If you dont want to help then let it be. Then i have to do it...

He's not saying he doesn't want to help nor is he "not helping". At least IMHO
he helps quite a lot on the mailing lists.

Anyways, getting back to the subject. IMHO, Carlos has a point:

- do we have to open bug reports upstream or do we have to open
bug reports in Novell's bugzilla? After all, we're openSUSE
users.

- do you suggest we open bug reports upstream for every package?
Then why on Earth would we be using openSUSE, we should be
using LFS. IMHO, we use openSUSE because it's our "interface"
to the developer Community

- Yes, I agree: smolt is NOT a Novell/SUSE project, but you're
packaging it. If you don't like receiving mails about those
packages: DON'T package them. YOU (Novell/SUSE) are our (users)
interface to the developer community.

- Do we have to subscribe to endless mailinglists of all the
packages openSUSE has? No, we don't.

I know what it is to work at a vendor and I know what it's like to be the
interface between users and 3rd party vendors (aka Partners), that's why I
think Novell/SUSE should be the one that receives our "complaints" and
Novell/SUSE forwards them upstream, not us (end users).

Rafa

--
"We cannot treat computers as Humans. Computers need love."

rgriman@xxxxxxxxx