Re: [opensuse-factory] System Ugrade: Previously Used Repositories
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 10:52:01 +0100
Greg Freemyer napsal(a):
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:45 AM, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Lukas Ocilka napsal(a):
I'd like to completely rewrite the $SUBJECT in installation and you have
an opportunity to say how do you think it could look and what could it
offer to do or how.
Ignoring the technical details ;), a cool feature would be detecting and
automatically deleting the old distros main and update repository (and
non-oss, src, debuginfo, etc), because these are going to be obsoleted
by the new distro in all cases. The user would then only need to decide
about the repositories which were added manually. BTW I also like
Benji's idea of self-upgrading repositories.

Michal

Agreed, it would be nice if each repository had the ability to say

"applies to 10.3-11.1" ie. 10.3,11,0,11.1
"applies to 10.3" ie. 10.3 only
"applies to 10.3-" ie. 10.3 or higher
"applies to -11.1" ie. 11.1 or lower

That's not what I had in mind (repositories usually only apply to one
version of the distribution). My suggestion was: If you are updating
from 11.1 to 11.2, then these repositories

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/11.1/repo/non-oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/update/11.1/
http://download.opensuse.org/debug/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/source/distribution/11.1/repo/oss/

should be deleted automatically, because the installation of 11.2 will
add it's own oss, non-oss, update and so on repos. Maybe repositories
could obsolete other repositories just like packages obsolete other
packages.

BTW: Lukas, why do you cross-post to opensuse-factory and yast-devel,
when both lists reject posts from non-subscribers?

Michal