Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: commit mozilla-nspr for openSUSE:Factory
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 12:36:21 +0100
On Freitag 09 Januar 2009 12:19:37 Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Adrian Schröter schrieb:
On Freitag 09 Januar 2009 08:46:31 Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
But we do not forbid submissions bypassing this. This is not the
recommended way, but may be necessary in some cases (see below).

I can't really say if it was necessary because the mentioned bug is as
always a closed one as in most of these cases but I seriously doubt it
given the nature of the changes.

However, in the end you should get these changes automatically when you
use source links. Yes, concflicts can appear and need get merged manually
like with cvs, svn and friends as well.

Turn it into "conflicts will appear" in any case usually if only just
because of the *.changes change and I'm tired having to fix stuff other
people broke.
And to give some feedback to OBS: Resolving conflicts in source linked
packages is a real PITA.

Yes, I agree that the missing merge handling is badly missing for too long
time.

If there are other contributions, which could have submitted to your
project, please ask the people direct to do this in future.

I did that for the several last occassions but I'm also tired of that
since usually random people within Novell are doing submissions through
autobuild and I don't want to have to notify each of them.
As long as using OBS and osc is just a weak "recommendation" inside of
Novell I'll stop contributing directly to a
*:Factory/Factory-development project.
Interested maintainers can still get my stuff from my own projects if
they like since they have to touch and review the stuff anyway and if
not I should just stop to care.

Yes, we have the general policy that people should use the development
project. But in the end it is just a recommendation, because the way how
people develop their packages differs a lot (this is partly caused also
by the upstream project).

No, the issue here is that Novell internal people drive by changing
stuff in foreign packages and don't know anything about the
"non-written" rules (while the official maintainer does in most cases)
of the respective package. Usually there is no problem with the
dedicated maintainers.

Hm, I do not think that this has something to do with the two worlds of inside
and outside of Novell.

We have basically an open system, so that in general everyone with write
access can write everywhere. This works also quite well in projects like KDE,
where only social rules prohibit people to submit not well enough tested stuff
into base libs.

Our main goal for this year is to improve the source handling (and stuff like
content from internal frameworks like our package database). So I hope you
like to hear that there will be some progress in this direction this year.
However, we are still in the planing phase.

I see it this way. We have already a system which helps you more than other
systems when underling changes happens with the source links.

The current disadvantage is that conflicting changes are badly handled atm.
Yes, we need to improve this as soon as possible.

bye
adrian

--

Adrian Schroeter