Re: [opensuse-factory] a DVD 11.1 installs so as to requires a command line login
  • From: "Rob OpenSuSE" <rob.opensuse.linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:22:54 +0000
2008/12/28 NITA BUDD <nita.budd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On performing a subsequent boot from power up , the message " Graphical
initialisation failed", appears on the console- then proceeds to a command
line boot up.
At the end of the boot sequence, I have to perform a line
based login/password and then issue "startx".
After that, it performs perfectly.

There is no way to shutdown without going back to the
command line, loging in as root and issuing a
"halt"

Please how can I rectify the login and shutdown problem

When you boot up, you're probably going into runlevel 3. If you have
graphics configured successfully, then try "init 5" and see if the
graphical runlevel provides the expected features.

Once you know it works, you can use YaST to set 5 to be default, or
alter the kernel boot paramater so runlevel 5 is selected, I don't
think editting /etc/iniittab directly is supported.