Re: [opensuse-factory] issues with command-not-found speed
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:03:08 +0100
Anicka Bernathova wrote:
Hello!

Yesterday I have found out that from time to time, when I type a typo, it
takes
a huge amount of time until a "command of found message" appears and I can
continue my work.

Now I am able to reproduce it every time on my rc1 machine:

time sl
bash: sl: command not found

real 0m1.289s
user 0m0.228s
sys 0m0.040s

Typing "echo 1 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches" enables me to reproduce it every
time
(not doing it means that it happens at random).

I am quite sure that our command-not-found package is to blame. I do not know
how come it is that slow (I have only some five repositories defined) but it
kind of drives me mad.

So first - could you tell me a way to disable this functionality? (Commenting
out the last line in /etc/bash_command_not_found does not seem to help.) And
then, are there any known issues like that? I would like to see this problem
fixed but I am afraid we might find out that we simply cannot do any better
with Python.

If our users like it, we should probably rewrite it to C then :-(

Anicka

You can try profile that
script(http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/lib/profile-instant.html) and
find what slow down it. I can say, that this script doesn't slow down my
console.
JR