Re: [opensuse-factory] PCLinuxOS Beta 2009
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 12:11:13 -0600
Fred A. Miller wrote:
Well, I find what they have to say about KDE of interest. ;)

Fred
_____________________

This beta iso features kernel 2.6.26.8.tex1, KDE 3.5.10, Open Office
2.4.1, Firefox 3.0.4, Thunderbird 2.0.0.17, Frostwire, Ktorrent, Amarok,
Flash, Java JRE, Compiz-Fusion 3D and much more.

We decided to use kde3-5-10 as our default desktop as the we could not
achieve a similar functionality from kde4. We will however offer kde4
as an alternative desktop environment available from the repo once we
stabilize it.

http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=51130.0

It would appear that pclinux has decided too keep a firm hand on the
tiller
allowing wisdom and logic and prevail over "Irrational exuberance". It must be
an age, competence or experience difference between the decision makers of the
different distributions.

"We decided to use kde3-5-10 as our default desktop as the we could not
achieve a similar functionality from kde4(.)"(emphasis ours on the period)

That is what has been completely absent from Novell of late. It is *not*
whether you like kde4 or kde3 that is crucial in that statement, but that the
decision makers at pclinux are providing a succinct, clear, rational and
reasoned decision for the direction that the users can expect the distribution
to take and the decision makers are providing a logical basis justifying the
decisions made.

I have yet to see as single explanation or basis given by openSuSE for
any of
the decisions that have been made that directly and dramatically impact those
of us that freely give our time, toil, energy and expertise to openSuSE. There
is a fundamental business lesson to be learned here.

Regardless of what road is taken, the common courtesy of providing a
little
insight and understanding goes a long way....

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. | openSoftware und SystemEntwicklung
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC | Countdown for openSuSE 11.1