Re: [opensuse-factory] compiz suggestion
  • From: Matt Sealey <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:51:46 -0600
Ben Kevan wrote:
On Wednesday 03 December 2008 08:49:01 am Putrycz, Erik wrote:
I haven't heard anyone who got compiz working out of the box with OS
11.1. I would suggest letting the installation delete .conf/compiz.
Otherwise it doesn't seem to work at all.
Maybe also add the SKIP_CHECKS by default?

Erik.

Add the Compiz XGL repository (Compiz packages without NOMAD patches).
sudo zypper ar http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/X11:/XGL/openSUSE_Factory/ Compiz

Note: The above one line

[snip]

Well I'll try this on RC2 when I get home and see what happens.

I don't see why NOMAD stops it all from working though. As far as I see it
the problem is not NOMAD but the default configuration of Compiz as shipped,
which is just not "shipped" to support ANY graphics card or driver. Deleting
the settings and installing the missing packages (from the standard OSS
repo) probably works just as well, but I have not yet found the right
ingredients.

Also; "Desktop Effects" in the standard Kickoff menu seems to be pretty
useless and CCSM doesn't seem installed by default at all (what??) - we're
looking at it now working out of the box if you were lucky enough to pick
up the OTHER secret, magical box, which is hidden in the tenth dimension.

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/FAQ#head-69976151c8b6468ee4a3e687557adee42d07fc95

This little question also happened to me once I installed compiz-kde,
isn't this the default setting in SUSE though, or did the new FolderView
thing just trash that?

I also wrote a bit about it here..
http://www.benkevan.com/blog/opensuse-111-compiz-nomad-xrdp/

Whee, I'm famous :D