Re: [opensuse-factory] compiz suggestion
  • From: Matt Sealey <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:19:24 -0600

Putrycz, Erik wrote:
I haven't heard anyone who got compiz working out of the box with OS
11.1. I would suggest letting the installation delete .conf/compiz.
Otherwise it doesn't seem to work at all.
Maybe also add the SKIP_CHECKS by default?

The way I see it the checks would pass if the whitelist was implemented;
otherwise every card I've tried (r200, r300) simply works and does not
come up with any failures or weirdness.

It's a shame this could not be a ship_stopper but it's really annoying
that there are articles that say "Compiz should work out of the box with
opensource drivers!" yet enabling it in Desktop Effects does NOTHING and
never has to my knowledge.

I can't even find the script that *starts* Compiz on a default install,
and one package recommended by most wikis and articles (compiz-kde) was
not installed for me.

I can't believe everyone here uses GNOME and never tested KDE. Half the
Novell guys *ARE* KDE :D

I don't want to file a bug on it because I simply don't have the details
to provide; but anyone who is testing it can see the result, you enable
it, and nothing happens, you start it manually, and the command is missing
that every article provides. Nobody documented HOW you're meant to do it
with openSUSE 11.1 or what the differences are between Ubuntu (which has
the most forum posts on Google for "Compiz problems" none of which have
the solutions that work in SUSE because the implementation is not nearly
the same)

Does someone from Novell want to sit down and try this stuff on their
box, click the button with the Radeon driver sitting there, and work out
why it doesn't work at all, and what is missing, before we ship? Does
someone want to give David Reveman a nudge? :D

--
Matt Sealey <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Genesi, Manager, Developer Relations