Re: [opensuse-factory] GRUB, instead of gfxmenu
  • From: josef reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 11:51:23 +0100
Carlos E. R. napsal(a):

On Friday, 2008-11-28 at 16:51 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

On 2008/11/28 22:27 (GMT+0100) Carlos E. R. composed:

On Friday, 2008-11-28 at 16:10 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

# /boot directory is not mounted. If this is bad detection you can
avoid it
by 'export PBL_SKIP_BOOT_TEST=1'

Note that the "# /boot directory is not mounted..." above is a lie.
It may
say in /etc/fstab that that should have been the case, but it was
not the
actual state while the new kernel was being installed.

I opened a bugzilla that was solved with that hack (export
PBL_SKIP_BOOT_TEST=1). The cause was different that yours, but the
solution could be the same. If you are interested I'll post the bug
number, but now my dinner is waiting :-)

Please? :-)

Bug 440337

It may not be related to your problem, but the solution to my problem
was to use that variable because boot partition is not detected on a
chroot.

But you can report your situation, so that they can alter the code and
your /boot is detected.

This check is again fstab and /proc/mounts. It is not perfect as
/proc/mounts is not perfect. But this is to prevent user which have
separated /boot which is not automounted at start to update kernel
(without mounted /boot it doesn't work) and because I know that this
check is not perfect you can use that variable which prevent check and
you are sure that you know what to do.

Why does a new kernel
installation require anything to access /etc/grub.conf anyway?

Because it adds a new entry to boot that precise kernel, instead of
reusing the "vmlinuz" symlink.

The question remains. Boot with openSUSE Grub happens via
/boot/grub/menu.lst, not /etc/grub.conf.

Sorry, I read to fast. I confused the file.

AFAICT, the latter is a config file
for installing Grub's stage* files, which has zip todo with
configuring new
kernels in Grub's menu.

Yes, you are right. It should not be altered, I think. Unless grub
itself is reinstalled :-?

This is bad behavior of post-install script, which call update
bootloader. Other bootloader like lilo, elilo, powerlilo need it and
grub use it's standard routine for it (which also rewrite its position).
If you file bug I can try change it.
What I am not sure is if after update grub is needed rewrite boot code
and if this call doesn't use same script, this is not so easy as it looks :)
JR, maintainer of perl Bootloader