Re: [opensuse-factory] Why does ksnapshot insist on saving a .jpeg and not .jpg anymore?
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 08:35:28 +0100
Am Sonntag 23 November 2008 schrieb David C. Rankin:

But, what I want to understand is why the change now. jpg and jpeg have
coexisted since the format was introduced to support that crippled 8.3 file
format for at least the past 20 years and openSuSE has always accommodated
the .jpg designation. What standard or guideline changed and what group
within novell is handling it? I'd just like to read up on why. It's kind of
like not knowing why we switched from ethel to unleaded....

When is the last time you tried and got .jpg? KDE3? ksnapshot has not even a
default image type defined if you go save as - and the file dialog will use
what's configured for the mimetype. And KDE3 had it's own definitions while
KDE4 uses freedesktop.org standard.

Greetings, Stephan