Re: [opensuse-factory] updating from beta's to RC, etc
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:20:41 +0100
Am Freitag 21 November 2008 schrieb Richard Allen:
Hi

I have a question that seems to get mixed answers.

On news.opensuse.org it has been stated by people that we can update from
the beta to the release candidate to then the final release without having
to download and do a fresh install.

However on the Opensuse Forum, the moderators speak against it saying that
we should do a clean install because config files from the beta could be
left behind.

Gets confusing when you have one part of Opensuse saying you can do it, and
another part saying you shouldn't do it. So could someone please clarify
whether updating from the beta to the RC to the final release is recommend,
or if we should do a clean install

Fact 1: You can do that. Zypper dup will bring you updated
Fact 2: You very likely will not get 100% the same result as a fresh install
of the final. Defaults change, default installs get changed. All this
very often a zypper dup will not repair
Fact 3: Some don't care about Fact 2

Greetings, Stephan