Re: [opensuse-factory] Compiz openSUSE 11.0 Beta 5 anyone working with Nvidia driver?
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 03:00:57 -0600
Ben Kevan wrote:
On Thursday 20 November 2008 11:33:15 pm you wrote:
Ben Kevan wrote:
Hey folks,

I just wanted to see if the problem was with compiz, or with my nvidia
driver ( i haven't yet tried the nv driver) have gotten compiz from the
oss repository working on their box.. None of my compiz decorations
start, and none of the compiz features actually work.

I just want to see if it's a bigger problem then I expected.

Ben
Ben,

Sorry, I lied! Emerald does NOT work at all either in KDE4 or KDE3. We
are
right back to where we were with the first 0.7.8 update in the X11:/XGL and
X11:/Compiz that killed emerald.

I loaded my emerald themes in ~/.emerald and after I did that, when I
execute emerald --replace, You could see the theme and decorations flash on
the window borders for a split second and then all decorations disappeared.
The only way to revive them was with a kwin --replace, but in KDE -- all
terminal input is killed when the decor crashes, so I had to make a menu
entry of a small bash script to get me out. Bummer.

Same happens in KDE4 except I still have terminal input after the decor
crash. Why is this causing us so much trouble?

Emerald will NOT work.. Compiz with the patch for nomad basically kills
emerald (and there are no upstream maintainers to fix emerald).

The best choice may be to remove it from openSUSE 11.1 (sadly).

My issue is I don't get ANY windows decorations (trying to just use kwin).
Again, this is only with the Compiz version with the nomad patch.

Ben

I guess somebody somewhere must like nomad. However from the very
prominent
'absence' (or loud silence) of anyone on either the factory or opensuse lists
that have anything, 'I mean anything' to say about nomad, it really makes you
wonder why we are suddenly abandoning a very well liked and very elegant,
working decoration package for something that, from what I can tell, nobody
asked for and for something that isn't even working yet?

You would think that with the amount of traffic on both lists and with
the
number of wide and varied members that participate in list discussions, you
would have heard something -- anything, about some type of benefit that nomad
will provide so that all of the current users and supporters would understand
why it was a good idea to scrap a working application that was so well liked by
its users. Some rime or some reason to justify all the effort and expenditure
of valuable resources in that pursuit. I don't know, maybe I missed it...

Sort of reminds me of another desktop issue. Ironic isn't it?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E. |
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC | Countdown for openSuSE 11.1