Re: [opensuse-factory] File save Dialog is a Travesty! This must be fixed.
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 04:50:22 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2008-11-16 at 21:28 -0600, Rajko M. wrote:

Are you sure it was possible before, to browse file names? I agree it is a
nuisance.

I use print to pdf since David pointed that as possibility to save web pages,
but there is long discussion on Mozilla's bugzilla. I have no link, but it is
in some of David's earlier complains on this new behavior.

They do not want to add that functionality, or is it too difficult or something? I suppose that, as they use the gtk toolbox they have to use the gnome or gtk print dialog, so maybe they/you have got to convince the gnome team to improve the functionality; but gnome tries very hard to be very simple, so their developers will not want to add that functionality
- - I'm just guessing, I do not know.

Current gives you always "mozilla.ps" as a file name, even when you come back
to print dialog from the same Firefox session.

Oh... crumbs.

Then, perhaps what I would do is print always to the same name, then copy
it to another place with another program.

:-)
That is a lot of work even for my small needs.

I always have several xterms opened, it would not be very difficult for me. How about... how about opening mozilla.pdf with acrobat, then use acrobat save as function? It is an extra step, but you have to open the pdf anyway, to check that you got what you wanted. Say acrobat or any other viewer that works; perhaps okular, that would give you the kde save as dialog (mind: I believe okular and evince might modify the file: I know one of them at least does, but I forgot which).

Or use a browser to select any name, and then copy-paste to the
print dialog.

That is what I'm doing right now, but even that is not comfortable because the
input field is too short for any practical file name length. Mine are in
format:
<vendor_name>-<type_of_file>-<date>.pdf
and input field is barely longer than
mozilla.ps
I can't see whole name which doesn't help much when I want to change only
date.

Yes, I understand. Quite a nuisance.

See? It is better to explain what the problem is instead of just blaming gnome and pissing gnome users ;-)

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.