Re: [opensuse-factory] Things that I would like in openSUSE 11.1
  • From: Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 22:26:16 -0800
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:15:39AM -0600, Xavier Callejas wrote:
On Friday 14 November 2008 22:20:17 Greg KH wrote:
- The brightness keys don't work at all (but I think that this is fixed
in thinkpad-acpi already)

Fixed where?

I read this recently in the ibm-acpi devel list. There is a patch, but it is
only for recompiling the kernel, I thought it would came merged in openSUSE
11.1 (I don't want to recompile the kernel).

Do you have a pointer to this patch? If no one tells the suse kernel
developers about such things, how can you expect it to automatically
show up in our kernel? :)

Also, a friend gave me, a couple of day ago, a copy of kubungo 8.10 live cd,
run it in my laptop and the brightness keys works (If I remember well it runs
kernel 2.6.27-7); also it has a visual notification for changing the volume
with the volume up/down/mute keys. If I were not a openSUSE fan, I probably
would install it in my laptop.

That's probably using a userspace tool for this, or the think-pad kernel
module, which we do offer. Have you tried them out?

thanks,

greg k-h