[opensuse-factory] Beta 5 / NVidia 177.80 driver
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:29:46 +0100
Hi,

I upgraded my system to latest Factory Snapshot (identifies itself as
beta 5).

It comes with kernel 2.6.27.5. For 'some reason' I'm using the binary
NVidia driver (177.80). Wheras I know that this driver is not supported
by Novell / the kernel devs, I still hope to find some replies on it.

Since the install of beta5, xorg does no longer start with the nvidia
driver (yes, of course I rebuilt the kernel module... we're talking here
on Factory and somehow I don't expect beginners here).

Nevertheless, Xorg does not start up. The most interesting part from the
log file is

[...]
(--) PCI:*(0@1:0:0) unknown vendor (0x10de) unknown chipset (0x042d) rev
161, Mem @ 0xf5000000/16777216, 0xe0000000/268435456,
0xf2000000/33554432, I/O @ 0x00
00ef00/128, BIOS @ 0x????????/131072
[...]
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
(EE) No devices detected.

If somebody of you has similiar issues and even better a solution for
it, I would be gratful (I reverted to nv for the moment... but
performance is not exactly the same :) )

Dominique