Re: [ANN] Fallback mirror selection improved (was: Re: [opensuse-factory] mirrors - south america)
  • From: "¡ElCheVive!" <elchevive68@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 11:10:40 -0200
2008/11/3 Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>:
Hi Luiz,

On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 08:28:27PM +0200, Peter Poeml wrote:
On Wed, Oct 01, 2008 at 12:05:06PM -0300, ¡ElCheVive! wrote:
Hi Peter,

Talking about the redirector, for the released version, not the factory
one:

You, or someone, added US repos as in the same country for the Latin
America (I asked it) as the connections from south america to other
continents are made throught US.

Yes, I remember.

But there is a Brazilian mirror who
appear later and its now showed as in the same continent as you can
see below:

Yes. I'm aware of this problem, this is a disadvantage of the current
implementation of the "override" functionality. We have three choices at
this time:
1) Leave it as is
2) Remove the override
3) Implement a better override, that I have already pictured here:

https://forgesvn1.novell.com/svn/opensuse/trunk/tools/download-redirector-v2/TODO
(first thing listed under "Improvements")
[...]
Now, I just need to get around and implement this.
It's sitting in the TODO file since a long time :(
If anyone wants to help...

Peter

I implemented this last night.

The fallback mirrors are now really used as fallback, and don't override
local mirrors. Only for files that are not present on your local mirror
you'll get redirected to an US mirror in the future.

So... people, this could be helpful for you as well:

If you live in a country that has no or few mirrors, and you
frequently get redirected to a mirror that is far away but you think
there is a closer one that's better suited, please let me know about it.
We are a lot more "configurable" now.

Thanks,
Peter
--