Re: [opensuse-factory] Beta 3: Desktop machine hibernated on its own
  • From: "Richard (MQ)" <osl2008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:43:57 +0000
Carlos E. R. wrote:
Vincent Untz escribió:

I hope it is, forcing to hibernate by default, without asking looks
plain wrong.

+1 but see below

Question: What will happen if the user has opened files on external USB
media, he leaves for a long coffe, and on return the machine is hibernated?

I have a Bugzilla about that since ages: in this case the usb storage
system crashes. The mount is there, but the disk is not accesible.
Opened files woud be damaged.

IMHO the hibernate should be aborted if open files are found on external
(e.g. USB) drives that will be lost due to storage sub-system crashes on
hibernation, at least until that storage sub-system is fixed and able to
survive the hibernation. It's not as if such open files aren't easy to
detect.

This (abort on open files) should be the case even if hibernation is
manually instigated by the user from the desktop, though perhaps a "-F |
--force" command-line option might be implemented to allow it to be
forced. It's absolutely essential if hibernation might be instigated by
a default policy.

I should add that I'm all in favour of power-saving measures such as
hibernation - but they do require prior resolution of issues such as
this. Until then it mustn't be the default.

--
Cheers
Richard (MQ)