Re: [opensuse-factory] Factory powerpc distro !
  • From: "Larry Stotler" <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:38:57 -0400
On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 5:09 AM, Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But I guess, I was the most active on all fronts to ask for factory PPC,
as I'm a SuSE mirror admin, have a local build service to build some
interesting packages from the BS on PPC and beta testing S.u.S.E. from
about 5.x :-)

True. I haven't done much with factory. Too busy. I have d/l
several of the alpha and betas and never even got a chance to install
them..... :-( No time. Had to go backpacking with my son over the
weekend and woke up in a tent in 28 degree weather......and then had
to hike back. Not that it wasn't fun, but I'm still trying to recover
from all that.......

When I get moved here soon into a bigger place, I will have the
ability to get my Macs up and running and see how things are. I did
pull my powerbook Wallstreet out of a box and want to try to get it
running. I thought I had a line on a G4 upgrade for it, but now the
guy won't get back to me. Oh well.

I don't know, but KDE 4.1 works great on my Pegasos (1Ghz G4 with 512MB
of RAM and ATI Radeon 9250). The next is testing factory on my EFIKA,
but that will be XFCE.

I had Xfce running on a My PowerMac 6500 with 11.0/Beta3. Problem
with that machine is it's 128MB RAM ceiling. Needless to say it was
SLOW. That's why I got a copy of 7.3. I want to see how well it does
with an older distro. I may try to get a G3 for it at some point(it
has a 603ev/275 in it now). I also picked up a Powerbook 3400c that
should be here by the end of the week. It's a 603e/180 with 16MB RAM.
Now to find a 128MB upgrade for it and see if I can get Linux on it.
No cpu upgrades for it tho.....

Later